Point-of-care diagnostics in resource-limited settingsIn a project supported by the Newton Fund in collaboration with Dr Jesse Gitaka at Mount Kenya University (Kenya), we have developed point-of-care diagnostics for maternal health in resource-limited settings. The project was awarded the Newton Country Prize 2020. We applied the technique of immiscible filtration assisted by surface tension (IFAST) to integrate the entire workflow; combining the specificity of immunomagnetic separation and the sensitivity of the subsequent adenosine triphosphate (ATP) assay with bioluminescence. This allowed fast analysis of Group B Streptococcus (GBS) in urine samples.
Previously, we applied the IFAST technique to magnetically capture and isolate pathogen DNA from urine and stool samples for analysis of STDs and infection. This work has been carried out in collaboration with Dr Kirsty Shaw at Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Bongkot Ngamsom, Ernest A. Wandera, Alexander Iles, Racheal Kimani, Francis Muregi, Jesse Gitaka, Nicole Pamme, Rapid Detection of Group B Streptococcus (GBS) from artificial urine samples based on IFAST and ATP Bioluminescence Assay: from development to practical challenges during protocol testing in Kenya, Analyst, 2019, 144, 6889-6897. doi: 10.1039/C9AN01808E
- O. Mosley, L. Melling, M.D. Tarn, C. Kemp, M.M.N. Esfahani, N. Pamme, Kirsty J. Shaw, Sample introduction interface for on-chip nucleic acid-based detection of Helicobacter pylori from stool samples, Lab on a Chip, 2016, 16, 2108-2115. doi: 10.1039/c6lc00228e
Pathogen analysis for veterinary diagnosticsIn a project support by the Commonwealth Scholarships programme, we are working on pathogen analysis for veterinary diagnostics employing colorimetric assays in paper microfluidic devices.
- Muhammad Asif, Fazli Rabbi Awan, Qaiser Mahmood Khan, Bongkot Ngamsom, Nicole Pamme, Paper-based analytical devices for colourimetric detection of S. aureus, E. coli and their antibiotic resistant strains in milk, Analyst, 2020, 145, 7320-7329. doi: 10.1039/D0AN01075H
Pathogen analysis in raw meat samplesWe have also carried out a research project in collaboration with diagnostics company bioMérieux on pathogen analysis in meat samples such as chicken and beef as well as blood samples using magnetophoresis and acoustophoresis to isolate and pre-concentrate pathogens.
- B. Ngamsom, M.M.N. Esfahani, C. Phurimsak, M.J. Lopez-Martinez, J-C. Raymond, P. Broyer, P. Patel, N. Pamme, Multiplex Sorting of Foodborne Pathogens by on-chip Free-Flow Magnetophoresis, Analytica Chimica Acta, 2016, 918, 69-76. doi: 10.1016/j.aca.2016.03.014
- B. Ngamson, M.J. Lopez-Martinez, J-C. Raymond, P. Broyer, P. Patel, N. Pamme, On-chip acoustophoretic isolation of microflora including S. typhimurium from raw chicken, beef and blood samples, Journal of Microbiological Methods, 2016, 123, 79-86. doi: 10.1016/j.mimet.2016.01.016